Monday, January 05, 2015

Core muscles

It turns out everybody has them.  Who knew?

I took up this suggestion by one of my friends.  I am to hold this position for as long as I can. Beginning in the shallow end of the pool I am to hold the position for 20 seconds working up to a minute.
the core muscles under attack are highlighted in orange
I've  worked my way up to 40 seconds so far.  I thought it was going to be a doddle.  It isn't.  It's been almost a week now of holding this position for half a minute.  I can actually feel the muscles that were happily residing in  my body with no complaints.  Because I am now aware of muscles that I was previously unaware must mean that this simple thing is doing some good.  I am gaining benefit.  I actually like having toned muscles.  They feel good.  I just hate exercise.

One of two things may happen with this easy non-aerobic exercise. I will continue to strengthen these core muscles.  Having started I may be inspired to move more and take even more exercise or I make a half-hearted, post-holiday effort and then stop.

4 comments:

Shammickite said...

Good to see you back blogging! I'm not as good at blogging as I used to be but I intend to keep going.
As for planking, don't think I could hold that pose for longer than a second, but perhaps I'll try. I'm getting soft and squishy.
Haven't seen your mum on her blog page, hope she is OK.

Peggy said...

Happy New Year darling

My mother is just fine. Thanks for asking. She does write in her blogs from time to time.

Sarah said...

yay! good for you on the plank. I hate forearm planks and usually just do "High planks" in yoga. I dislike aerobic exercise intensely unless in wrapped up in something fun, like bicycling or walking the dogs. Strong is good :)

joared said...

I second "good for you!" I've been negligent in keeping up exercising and should get back to some form of it.